i think about this a lot and cry
Vogue Italia November 1990 "Interprete principale Christy" Model: Christy Turlington Photographer: Steven Meisel
THE BEGINNINGS OF KAWAII
No, no, you have no idea. It actually IS the beginning of the whole so-called “kawaii culture”. And it started because girls started using mechanical pencils, which provided fine handwriting. After being banished (more precisely, during the 80s), this kind of writing started being used in products like magazines and make-up. And, during this time, icons we usually associate with the whole kawaii industry (like the characters from Sanrio) came to life too.
And what many people don’t realize is that this subculture was born as a way for young girls to express themselves in their own way. And it was also used as something against the adult life and the traditional culture, often seen as dull and boring and oppressive. By embracing cuteness, these young girls (and adult women, after a while) were showing non-conformation with the current standards.
So yep. Kawaii is important, and it all started with cute, simple handwritting a few hearts and cat faces in some girls’ school notebooks <3
NO OK THIS IS SO IMPORTANT!
This is also how the kawaii fashions started! Girls began dressing in cute and off beat styles for themsleves, they were criticized by adult figures telling them “you’ll never find a husband if you dress that way!” to which they began to reply “Good!”
All the japanese subcultures and fashions that evolved out of this became a rebellion to tradition and the starch gender roles and expectations the adults were forcing on the younger generations. As early as the 70s and still to this day you’ll see an emphasis on child-like fashion and themes in more kawaii styles and the dismissal of the male gaze with styles like lolita (a lot of western people assume lolita is somehow sexual due to the name of the fashion, but ask any japanese lolita and they will tell you that men hate the style and find it unattractive which is sometimes a large reason they gravitate towards the style - they can express their femininity and individuality while remaining independent and without the pressure to appeal to men)
Its so so so important to understand the hyper cute and ‘odd’ fashions of Japanese girls carry such a huge message of feminism and reclaiming of their own lives.
so are you telling me that Japan’s punk phase was really the kawaii phase
this will always be one of my favorite songs
I have to wake up at 7am tomorrow but ~whatever~ ^_^
- 1. If you’ve ever tried drugs or alcohol, what was your reason for first trying it?
- 2. Do you think you could ever have an abortion if you unexpectedly turned up pregnant right this second?
- 3. If you were far from home and needed to sleep for the night, would you choose to rent a crappy motel room for $60 or sleep in your car for free?
- 4. Is there a color shirt you’d NEVER wear?
- 5. Is there a situation where you caved into peer pressure and regretted it?
- 6. What is your favorite video game console? Why?
- 7. Do you like vanilla candles?
- 8. Have you ever been in a relationship that was going great, and then suddenly something weird happened and you just KNEW it was going to be over soon?
- 9. Would you ever bleach your hair platinum blonde?
- 10. What are your plans for tomorrow?
- 11. What did you have for breakfast?
- 12. Have you had sex in 2014 yet?
- 13. Who last slept in your bed besides you?
- 14. What time did you wake up today?
- 15. How long until your next birthday?
- 16. What was the last movie you watched?
- 17. If you could see any musician live, front row, who would you choose?
- 18. When did you last consume something that had peanut butter?
- 19. What’s the last song you heard?
- 20. When you say you love someone, do you mean it?
- 21. Do you plan on sleeping in tomorrow?
- 22. Do you still talk to any of your ex’s?
- 23. As of this minute, what is going through your mind?
- 24. Where’s the last place you went?
- 25. Have you held hands with anyone lately?
- 26. Has anyone let you down recently?
- 27. Does it bother you when people try to make you jealous?
- 28. Whats the next movie you want to see in theaters?
- 29. Do you have more than $50 in your room?
- 30. Are both of your blood parents still in your life?
- 31. Were you tired when you woke up this morning?
- 32. Who is probably talking a load of crap about you right now?
- 33. When was the last time you went apple picking?
- 34. Do you sometimes wake up in the morning, lay in bed and think about life?
- 35. Are you happy summer is coming soon?
- 36. Do you have drama in your life?
Whoa. The MLA has officially devised a standard format to cite tweets in an academic paper. Sign of the times.
ebooks, Horse. (horse_ebooks). “Leg Butt” 18 Nov 2011, 12:38 PM. Tweet.
do you guys think vows is open rn? I need to buy some mixed greens
hey y’all here’s a song by a trans woman about how much she hates shitty faggots have a nice night